Call for Applications: Program Lead
Digital Creator North, Kenora ON
Date Posted: June 20th, 2019
Application Deadline: June 30th, 2019
Start Date: July 10th, 2019
Wage: $35,000 for a 1 year contract. This full-time position is partially funded by FedNor’s Northern Ontario Development Program.
Region: Northern Ontario
Location: Kenora Public Library
Term: Full-time (1 year contract with potential of renewal), 15 days paid vacation
The Near North Mobile Media Lab actively promotes media arts access for all artists regardless of age, class, gender, sexual orientation, race, or ability. We provide the tools that artists, students, and audiences in Northern Ontario need to produce, present, and enjoy all forms of contemporary media art. We envision a thriving media arts community in Northern Ontario that produces innovative work, has access to contemporary presentations, and is an active participant in a national discourse by overcoming regional limitations.
The Digital Creator project has established low-barrier media arts based creator spaces for youth (ages 14-19) in six partner communities across Northern Ontario. These spaces operate as drop-in, out-of-school learning environments for youth to develop skills in digital media using a participatory culture model. These spaces inspire creative experimentation, peer networking/collaboration, civic engagement, and hands-on learning using various media arts disciplines. These disciplines include video production, audio recording, 3D printing, graphic design, and coding/programming. This project is aimed to have a positive cultural impact on the community of Kenora and surrounding area by increasing participation of youth in digital media creation.
Under the supervision of the Program Coordinator and Library CEO/Head Librarian at City of Kenora Public Library, the Digital Creator Program Lead will be responsible for coordinating and executing the Digital Creator North project in Kenora, Ontario. The project offers structured and unstructured learning environments in digital and media arts for young users. Program Leads will be required to create a welcoming space and develop responsive media arts programming for teens in the community.
- Develop responsive programming in various media arts disciplines
- Help to develop a low-barrier digital space for teens
- Maintaining, updating, and evaluating equipment when necessary
- Preparing regular written reports and recording program data for evaluation
- Plan and coordinate with Near North Mobile Media Lab and Community Partners to reach goals
- Work with community partners to develop strategies for local marketing
- Assist in maintaining the website through social media, blogs, behind-the-scenes documentation and event postings
Unemployed or underemployed youth (under the age of 30) who have graduated with a degree or diploma from a post secondary institution within the last three years, are legally entitled to work in Canada, and have not been previously employed under a FedNor Youth Internship funding agreement, or other federal or provincial internship with pay for a period of six (6) months or more.
- Be a university or college graduate who has graduated from an accredited college or university in the Degree or Diploma program in Media Arts, Community Development, Non-Profit Administration, Education or related field. Candidates must be graduates of post-secondary degree or diploma programs.
- Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Ability to work independently and within defined timelines
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Well-organized, self-starter who is attentive to detail
- Self-motivated to learn and research new models and methods
- Community-minded and able to facilitate outreach strategies
- Knowledge of Northern communities
- Curiosity in learning new technologies and software used in media and digital arts
- Comfortable communicating via various social media platforms
- Public speaking and presentation skills
- Working knowledge of film and video equipment, digital and media technologies and software with willingness to expand knowledge based on teen interest
- Work experience in any related field a benefit
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and technologically current with web-based programs and social media
- Personal interest or active artistic practice in digital media discipline an asset
- Previous experience with teen/young adults in education an asset
- Experience in community outreach
- Previous experience with teen/young adults in an educational setting an asset
- Have a current passport by Summer 2018 and willingness to travel
- First Aid Training or willing to get certified
How to Apply:
Please send your resume, CV, and cover letter (in a PDF attachment) to
Name: Alexander Rondeau
Title: Program Coordinator
Email: [email protected]
Website: www.n2m2l.ca + www.digitalcreator.ca