Call for Applications: Program Lead
Digital Creator North, Kenora ON
Date Posted: October 16, 2019
Application Deadline: November 27, 2019
Start Date: January 6, 2019
Wage: $35,000 for a 1 year contract. This full-time position is partially funded by FedNor’s Northern Ontario Development Program.
Region: Northern Ontario
Location: Kenora Public Library
Term: Full-time (1 year contract with potential of renewal), 15 days paid vacation
The Near North Mobile Media Lab actively promotes media arts access for all artists regardless of age, class, gender, sexual orientation, race, or ability. We provide the tools that artists, students, and audiences in Northern Ontario need to produce, present, and enjoy all forms of contemporary media art. We envision a thriving media arts community in Northern Ontario that produces innovative work, has access to contemporary presentations, and is an active participant in a national discourse by overcoming regional limitations.
The Digital Creator project has established low-barrier media arts based creator spaces for youth and emerging artists in six partner communities across Northern Ontario. These spaces operate as drop-in, out-of-school learning environments for youth to develop skills in digital media using a participatory culture model. These spaces inspire creative experimentation, peer networking/collaboration, civic engagement, and hands-on learning using various media arts disciplines. These disciplines include video production, audio recording, 3D printing, graphic design, and coding/programming. This project is aimed to have a positive cultural impact on the community of Kenora and surrounding area by increasing participation of youth in digital media creation.
Under the supervision of the Program Coordinator and Library CEO/Head Librarian at the City of Kenora Public Library, the Digital Creator Program Lead will be responsible for coordinating and executing the Digital Creator North project in Kenora, Ontario. The project offers structured and unstructured learning environments in digital and media arts for youth and emerging artists. Program Leads will be required to create a welcoming space and develop responsive media arts programming for their community.
- Develop responsive programming in various media arts disciplines, including workshops
- Help to develop and maintain a low-barrier digital space for teens and emerging artists
- Maintaining, updating, and evaluating equipment when necessary
- Preparing regular written reports and recording program data for evaluation
- Plan and coordinate with Near North Mobile Media Lab and Community Partners to reach goals
- Work with community partners to develop strategies for local marketing
- Maintain ongoing marketing and communication of programming to local community
- Assist in maintaining the website through social media, blogs, behind-the-scenes documentation and event postings
Unemployed or underemployed youth (under the age of 30) who have graduated with a degree, diploma or certification from an accredited post secondary institution within the last three years, are legally entitled to work in Canada, and have not been previously employed under a FedNor Youth Internship funding agreement, or other federal or provincial internship with pay for a period of six (6) months or more.
- Candidates must be a graduate of an accredited post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate granting program in Education, Visual Arts, Media or Digital Arts, Community Development, Non-Profit Administration, Arts Administration, or a related field.
- Candidates must be under the age of 30 and legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Ability to work independently and within defined timelines
- Well-organized, self-starter who is attentive to detail
- Self-motivated to learn and research new models and methods
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Community-minded and able to facilitate outreach strategies
- Previous experience with teens/young adults in an education setting
- Curiosity in learning new technologies and software used in media and digital arts
- Comfortable communicating via various social media platforms
- Public speaking and presentation skills
- Working knowledge of film and video equipment, digital and media technologies and software with willingness to expand knowledge based on teen interest
- Work experience in any related field a benefit
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and technologically current with web-based programs and social media
- Personal interest or active artistic practice in digital media discipline an asset
- Experience in community outreach an asset
- Knowledge of Northern communities an asset
- First Aid Training or willingness to get certified
How to Apply:
Please send your resume, CV, and cover letter (in a PDF attachment) to [email protected] and CC [email protected] Please reference “Digital Creator North Program Lead Kenora Application” in the subject line of email. No phone calls please.
Name: Sharon Switzer
Title: Program Coordinator
Email: [email protected]gmail.com
Website: www.n2m2l.ca + www.digitalcreator.ca